The E-Sylum v22n25 June 23, 2019

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jun 23 18:34:54 PDT 2019

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 22, Number 25, June 23, 2019
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 23, 2019
<#a01>
**
KOLBE & FANNING SALE 153 ANNOUNCED
<#a02>
**
KOLBE & FANNING BUY OR BID SALE NUMBER 10
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: DIGITAL CASH
<#a04>
**
BOOK REVIEW: CHICAGO COIN CLUB MEDALS AND TOKENS
<#a05>
**
F+W MEDIA ASSET SALES APPROVED
<#a06>
**
MISSOURI PAPER MONEY RESEARCH FILES ON NNP
<#a07>
**
THANKS FROM RICH KELLY AND NANCY OLIVER
<#a08>
**
TRADER JON’S TRADERNOMICS
<#a09>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JUNE 23, 2019
<#a10>
**
NEW COIN SHOP IN ADELAIDE
<#a11>
**
ON MEDALISTS AND MEDALLISTS
<#a12>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: NUMBERING SYSTEM
<#a13>
**
THE MICHIGAN COIN COMPANY
<#a14>
**
THE GREAT PRECIOUS METALS BOOM AND BUST
<#a15>
**
THE TREASURE OF AMERSFOORT
<#a16>
**
COIN BOARD TYPE SET EXHIBIT
<#a17>
**
TIRUCHIRAPPALLI INDIA COIN SHOW
<#a18>
**
JUNE 2019 HONG KONG FAIR EDUCATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
<#a19>
**
JUDAEAN COINS FROM THE MOUSSAIEFF COLLECTION
<#a20>
**
MORTON & EDEN JUNE 2019 SALE SELECTIONS
<#a21>
**
FOURTH CENTURY BRONZE COINS FOUND IN PARION
<#a22>
**
CARAUSIUS DENARIUS FOUND 30 YEARS AGO OFFERED
<#a23>
**
THE AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO ONE TON GOLD COIN
<#a24>
**
WHICH TUBMAN PORTRAIT TO USE?
<#a25>
**
MORE ON THE AUSTRALIAN BANKNOTE DESIGN TYPO
<#a26>
**
ARTIST CREATES BREXIT BANKNOTE
<#a27>
**
MR. 880, AMERICA'S WORST COUNTERFEITER
<#a28>
**
FACEBOOK'S LIBRA CRYPTOCURRENCY
<#a29>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: JUNE 23, 2019
<#a30>
**
PENNY PYRAMID HOPES TO BREAK GUINNESS RECORD
<#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JUNE 23, 2019

We have no new subscribers this week.
We currently have 5,945 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with two new sales from numismatic booksellers Kolbe & Fanning, one new book, one review, a Newman Numismatic Portal update and a note from numismatic researchers Rich Kelly and Nancy Oliver.

Other topics this week include Missouri paper money, the great precious metals boom and bust, coin shops, coin shows, coin boards, coin hoards, coin finds, coin photos, Judean coins,  one-ton gold coins, typos, cryptos and America's worst counterfeiter.

To learn more about "Mr. 880", digital cash, the Chicago Coin Club,  Krause Publications parent F+W Media sales, apothecary weights, Tradernomics, the Purple Penny, the unique 1870-S Half Dime, the Brexit banknote, "Wahsington" D.C.,
and alarmingly precise dummy of a person, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING SALE 153 ANNOUNCED

Kolbe & Fanning's next numismatic literature sale will close July 13, 2019. Here's the announcement.  Some great items here!  The subscription Crosby and large paper Hickcox have eluded me while building my own library.
-Editor

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers are announcing our Sale 153, which will be held on Saturday, July 13, 2019. The 500-lot sale includes a fine selection of books on ancient, world and U.S. numismatics, with especially important offerings from the library of Philip J. Carrigan.

The sale features particularly notable runs of American auction catalogues, along with core references on ancient and world coins, many of them in fine bindings.

Some highlights of the sale include:

Lots 8 and 48

Lot 8: an attractively bound copy of the groundbreaking 1755 auction catalogue of the Richard Mead collection, the first truly notable British coin sale

lot 48: the massive plate volume of Ernst Justus Haeberlin’s extraordinary 1910 Aes Grave

Lots 106 and 112

Lot 106: a beautiful 1824-1826 quarto edition of Visconti’s exquisitely illustrated Iconographie grecque

Lot 112: the rare expanded second edition (1723) of the magnificent compendium of Louis XIV medals, Médailles sur les principaux événements du règne entier de Louis le Grand

Lots 232 and 325

Lot 232: a remarkable archive of materials relating to the establishment and early operation of ANACS, from the Eric P. Newman files

Lot 325: Newman’s plated copy of the 1912 Henry Chapman catalogue of the George H. Earle collection

Lots 349 and 359

Lot 349: an original subscription set of Crosby’s Early Coins of America, as published in printed paper covers

Lot 359: a very large collection of 176 different Thomas Elder catalogues, part of the offerings in this sale of American auction catalogues collected by Phil Carrigan, which include the extensive series issued by Cogan, Mehl, Stack’s, Woodward, the Chapmans, Frossard, Low, Haseltine, Bolender, et al.

Lots 393 and 462

Lot 393: the finest known copy of the large-paper edition of John H. Hickcox’s 1858 An Historical Account of American Coinage, one of only five copies printed

Lot 462: an almost entirely complete set of Hans M.F. Schulman catalogues, forming an exceptional resource on world coinage.

Bids may be placed via post, email, fax or phone, as well as online. Kolbe & Fanning use Auction Mobility as our third-party online bidding platform. Auction Mobility is an app-based platform allowing users the ability to participate in the sale through phones, tablets and computers. To register for the sale, bidders must go to

bid.numislit.com and sign up. Once you have set up an account, you may browse lots, place advance bids, or participate in the live sale online. Those wishing to participate on their devices can download the Kolbe & Fanning app through the Apple or Google Play Store.

The printed catalogue of Sale 153 was mailed to active customers this week. A PDF of the printed catalogue has been posted to our main website at numislit.com for those who prefer that format. Bids placed via post, email, fax or phone must be received by July 12, the day before the sale, in order for them to be processed. Advance absentee bids may also be placed at any time online at

bid.numislit.com; live internet bidding will be available during the sale itself through the same platform.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com or email David Fanning at df at numislit.com. To register for the sale, go to

bid.numislit.com
. We look forward to your participation.

KOLBE & FANNING BUY OR BID SALE NUMBER 10

Numismatic Booksellers Kolbe & Fanning also submitted this announcement of their tenth "Buy or Bid Sale" which closes on July 5, 2019. Good luck, everyone!
-Editor

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum