The E-Sylum v23n12 March 22, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Mar 22 18:50:47 PDT 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 12, March 22, 2020
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 22, 2020
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: U.S. CLASSIC GOLD COINS OF 1834-1839
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: CORPUS LUIGINORUM
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: ANCIENT IRANIAN NUMISMATICS
<#a04>
**
NEW BOOK: DUTCH EAST INDIES PLANTATION TOKENS
<#a05>
**
NEW BOOK: NOT YOUR GRANDFATHER'S MEDALS
<#a06>
**
NEW BOOK: GRESHAM’S LAW
<#a07>
**
PERIODICAL: THE CENTINEL SPRING 2020
<#a08>
**
BOOK REVIEW: IN GOD WE TRUST
<#a09>
**
PACIFIC EXPO SO-CALLED DOLLARS BOOK OF THE YEAR
<#a10>
**
OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE UNITED STATES ON NNP
<#a11>
**
VIDEO: STEWART BLAY'S INDIAN CENTS
<#a12>
**
THE NUMISMATOURIST IS BACK HOME
<#a13>
**
AUCTIONS IN A WORLD OF CORONAVIRUS
<#a14>
**
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES: MARCH 22, 2020
<#a15>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 22, 2020
<#a16>
**
1921 SILVER COIN ANNIVERSARY ACT SUPPORT SOUGHT
<#a17>
**
JAMES MALONEBEACH: AMERICAN MEDAL OF THE YEAR
<#a18>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: SUSPENSION
<#a19>
**
DIME NOVELIST NED BUNTLINE
<#a20>
**
EBENEZER LOCKE MASON, JR. (1826-1901)
<#a21>
**
NUMISMATIST OF THE YEAR MARK BORCKARDT
<#a22>
**
WHAT ARE ELECTROTYPES?
<#a23>
**
HERITAGE 2020 CENTRAL STATES SALE SELECTIONS
<#a24>
**
SLOVAKIA VILLAGE CHURCH COIN FIND
<#a25>
**
GRAND DUCAL SAXON MONEY ORDER
<#a26>
**
NEW YORK RESTAURANTS OFFER BONDS
<#a27>
**
READERS RUSH THEIR LIBRARIES FOR BOOKS
<#a28>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: MARCH 22, 2020
<#a29>
**
1666 JOHN MORSE COPPER HALFPENNY TOKEN
<#a30>
**
LARRY BRILLIANT, NUMISMATIC INTERNET PIONEER
<#a31>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 22, 2020

New subscribers this week include:
William S Woods and
Dr. Lawrence J. Lee.
Welcome aboard! (or welcome back!) We now have 6,085 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

NOTE: The Kolbe & Fanning ad is outdated - the firm is now offering free shipping to the U.S. and discounted international shipping for a limited time.  See their web site for details.

This week we open with SIX new books, a periodical that doesn't exist, a book review, and updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal.

Other topics this week include Indian and Flying Eagle cents, So-Called Dollars, the 1921 Silver Coin Anniversary Act, the Numismatist of the Year, the American Medal of the Year, coin dealer Ebenezer Locke Mason, Jr. and his friend Ned Buntline, and epidemiologist and numismatic internet pioneer Larry Brilliant.

To learn more about U.S. Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839, luigini coinage,
 ancient Iranian numismatics, Dutch plantation tokens, Gresham's Law, Mint clerk Samuel W. Brown, the Numismatourist, coin auctions in a world of coronavirus, and the magazine that never was, read on. Have a great week, everyone.  Stay safe!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: U.S. CLASSIC GOLD COINS OF 1834-1839

Quick - which series of U.S. coins does NOT already have a book dedicated to it?  That used to be a hard question, even for dedicated bibliophiles.  Hasn't Dave Bowers written something on everything?  Not quite.  One short but important and no-longer-overlooked series now has its reference book.  Here's the press release.
-Editor

United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839

“Buy the book before the coin.” Sage advice if there is a book to buy. Every coin series in U.S.
history has a book dedicated to it except one, Classic Gold. Minted from 1834 to 1839 and
falling between the series of the old standard preceding it and the newer series that followed,
Classic Gold quarter eagles and half eagles are betwixt and between. No comprehensive and
authoritative reference guide has been written about these beautifully designed coins. Their story
has never been told, until now.

United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839, a book written by Daryl J. Haynor, presents
information about every aspect of the Classic Gold quarter eagle and half eagle series that a
collector needs to knowledgeably and confidently collect them. The work assembles for the first
time a complete die marriage listing for every date in each series, emission sequencing, and a
detailed system for identifying marriages with high quality color photographs. Rarity ratings of
each die marriage are given, backed by an exhaustive search of thousands of records of gold coin
sales.

The book includes an analysis of the characteristics of Classic Gold coins by date, including
luster, color, strike, and other die characteristics. It provides estimates of the survivors of each
date broken down by grade ranges based on statistical analysis of third- party population reports
and auctions. It also documents reasons why several official mintage figures of the U.S. Mint
need to be adjusted.

Mr. Haynor has conducted an exhaustive study of the finest examples of each date, and a
condition census list with detailed provenance records is included. In many cases this
information will be published for the first time. Most listings include high quality color photos.

But Classic Gold is much more than a reference book. The 1830’s was perhaps the most
dynamic decade in the history of the U.S. Mint, and economically one the most traumatic for the
country. The book explores the economic and political context of the 1830's by "following the
money" through these turbulent times, including President Jackson's push for a bimetallic
monetary system, the Second Bank Wars and its ultimate demise, and changing the gold
standard. It chronicles the role of the gold in French indemnity payments, the relocation of
Native Americans, and the Panic of 1837. And it explores U.S. Mint operations which went
through big changes during that decade, including the introduction of the steam toggle press, the
opening of the new Philadelphia Mint, Christian Gobrecht’s arrival as Engraver, and the
construction of branch mints in Charlotte, Dahlonega, and New Orleans.

Classic Gold coinage was the tool Jackson used to implement his financial policy based on
specie. It was the first coinage under a new gold standard, the first to create a public uproar over
the omission of E PLURIBUS UNUM on U.S. coinage, the first coinage struck at the Branch
Mints, and the first U.S coinage with a mintmark on the obverse.

The historic section of the book is based on hundreds of hours of research involving documents
probably never read by anyone with a numismatic interest for two hundred years. The book
includes facsimiles of many exciting and never before published archival documents such as a
new allegorical drawing by Engraver William Kneass of Miss Liberty, a letter from President
Andrew Jackson accepting the first Classic Head gold coin minted, and Gold Bullion Mint
Certificate No. 1 issued by the Charlotte Mint on the first day of operations.

Classic Gold includes many other documents for the first time, including those surrounding the
striking of rare Proof Classic Gold coins. The book includes an analysis of these coins, detailing
their provenance and telling stories of some of their most famous collectors, featuring the King
of Siam Presentation Set which is perhaps the most famous and most valuable set of U.S.
coinage ever assembled.

The book will debunk some widely accepted tales of numismatic history that are not accurate,
but are “numislore”, that: old tenor gold was melted in masses by the U.S. Mint as a result of
changing the gold standard in 1834; E PLURIBUS UNUM was removed, as well as the cap from
Miss Liberty, in order to distinguish the change in weight of U.S. gold coins; in 1835 Christian
Gobrecht took over all activities as engraver after the debilitating illness of William Kneass.

This work contains valuable materials gathered by John McCloskey, respected author of works
on other coin series, whose ground-breaking articles about Classic Gold aroused Mr. Haynor’s
interest. Mr. McCloskey researched Classic Gold for over twenty years. He discovered and
reported new die marriages, and many had been eagerly awaiting his book. Unfortunately, Mr.
McCloskey passed away in 2018, but his family has generously turned his materials over to Mr.
Haynor. His seminal research will be acknowledged and memorialized through the naming
regime of die marriages detailed in the book.

Professional Coin Grading Services (PCGS) and the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) have adopted the HM (Haynor-McCloskey)
attribution system and will attribute Classic Gold coins submitted through their services. Stack’s Bowers and Heritage Auctions now attribute their auction listings using the HM system.

Mr. Haynor has been an avid collector for decades. He has compiled a collection of Classic
Gold that is the finest ever known, and is near completion of the first ever collection to include
every die marriage in both series. He would have found a book like this one invaluable, but none
existed. Instead he was compelled to undertake a rewarding but at times arduous research over
twelve years into all aspects of Classic Gold. He is now prepared to pass on this knowledge in
one comprehensive work so that collectors finally will be able to “buy the book before the coin.”

The hardbound book is 368 pages in length, printed in full color with over 700 full color high-
resolution illustrations. United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839 by Daryl J. Haynor, with
John W. McCloskey, is available from Wizard Coin Supply at Wizardcoinsupply.com. The book
is priced at $95, but is now available for a limited time at a discounted pre-release price.

A limited-edition ​leatherette version of only 75 copies (shown at left) is priced at $195 but also available at a pre-release price.

For more information, or to order, see:

United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839

(https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/united-states-classic-gold-coins-of-1834-1839)

NEW BOOK: CORPUS LUIGINORUM

Editions Victor Gadoury of Monaco has published a new book by Maurice Cammarano on the luigini coinage.
-Editor

• Title: Corpus Luiginorum