The E-Sylum v23n13 March 29, 2020

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Mar 29 15:59:59 PDT 2020

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 23, Number 13, March 29, 2020
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 29, 2020
<#a01>
**
NEW BOOK: THE MEDIEVAL COINS OF WüRZBURG
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOK: PLEASE IGNORE OUR TIME MACHINE
<#a03>
**
PERIODICAL: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NUMISMATICS 31
<#a04>
**
DWIGHT L. MUSSER (1926-2018)
<#a05>
**
DAVID E. SEELYE (1946-2020)
<#a06>
**
DANIEL "TINY" CROSS (1960-2020)
<#a07>
**
1883 CENTS-LESS LIBERTY NICKEL CRITIQUE
<#a08>
**
JOIN NATIONAL ARCHIVES TRANSCRIPTION INITIATIVE
<#a09>
**
2020 NEWMAN GRANT PROGRAM DEADLINE APRIL 1
<#a10>
**
VIDEO: BLAST WHITE AND TONED MORGAN DOLLARS
<#a11>
**
YELLOW FEVER AT THE U.S. MINT
<#a12>
**
ROYAL MINT RETOOLS TO MAKE MEDICAL VISORS
<#a13>
**
PERSPECTIVES ON THE POGUE VII SALE
<#a14>
**
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES: MARCH 29, 2020
<#a15>
**
BUYERS FLOCK TO BULLION AND COINS
<#a16>
**
HOBBIES ALL-IMPORTANT DURING CRISIS
<#a17>
**
MORE ON EARLIEST USE OF THE WORD 'NUMISMATICS'
<#a18>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MARCH 29, 2020
<#a19>
**
QUERY: VAIL MEDAL BROOCH
<#a20>
**
MORE ON THE MINTER'S COSTUME
<#a21>
**
NUMISMATIST EDITOR BARBARA GREGORY RETIRING
<#a22>
**
NGC CERTIFIES 10,000,000 SILVER EAGLES
<#a23>
**
U.S. MINT AUTOMATES SLABBING WITH PARTNERSHIP
<#a24>
**
MUDLARKING AND METAL DETECTING FINDS
<#a25>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: KEY TAG MEDAL
<#a26>
**
DR. RICHARD GEORGE DOTY (1942-2013)
<#a27>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 66
<#a28>
**
A NUMISMATIST'S VISIT TO NEW ORLEANS
<#a29>
**
MORE SELECTIONS FROM DAVISSON'S AUCTION 39
<#a30>
**
ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL SALE #58 SELECTIONS
<#a31>
**
THE UNION LEAGUE MEDAL OF HONOR
<#a32>
**
SECURITY MARBLING ON FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS
<#a33>
**
VIDEO: JAPANESE BANKNOTE SECURITY FEATURES
<#a34>
**
LOOSE CHANGE: MARCH 29, 2020
<#a35>
**
PULL TAB ARCHEOLOGY
<#a36>
**
COLLECTING BANANA LABELS
<#a37>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: MALTA NUMISMATIC SOCIETY
<#a38>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

Click here to unsubscribe (scroll down)

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MARCH 29, 2020

New subscribers this week include:
Josef Kříž courtesy  Ron Haller-Williams;
Stephen Cohen, and
David Quante.
Welcome aboard! We now have 6,088 subscribers.

Thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription (but let me know if they are located in the European Union). Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

This week we open with two new books, a periodical, three obituaries, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and stories about the Yellow Fever and the U.S. Mint.

Other topics this week include the 1883 "No Cents" nickel, perspectives on the coin market, coronavirus updates, the Minter's Costume, U.S. Mint automation, third-party graders, key tag medals, auction selections, security marbling, the Bermanian Guild of Numismatists and the Malta Numismatic Society.

To learn more about the great snowstorm sale,  Isaac Newton's plague-cation,
 the earliest use of the word "numismatics",  Ceylon Agri-Horticultural Show medals, retiring ANA Editor-in-Chief  Barbara Gregory, author Richard Doty, the New Orleans Mint, numismatography, numismaticitis, nummophiles and numismaniacs, the Numismatic Athenaeum and the Royal Bermanian Tickle Token, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: THE MEDIEVAL COINS OF WüRZBURG

Here is the press release for a new work on the medieval coinage of Würzburg.
-Editor

Hubert Ruß publishes standard work on the medieval coinage of Würzburg

Hot off the presses: this new standard work covers medieval coins of the Bishopric of
Würzburg. Its author, Dr. Hubert Ruß, is considered one of today’s leading experts on
Franconian coinage. His book is very important for all numismatists, from researchers, to
coin dealers, to collectors.

Hubert Ruß, Die mittelalterlichen Münzen des Hochstiftes Würzburg: Münzgeschichte und
Katalog der Prägungen von ca. 900 bis 1495 [“The medieval coins of the Bishopric of
Würzburg: monetary history and catalog of coins from approx. 900 up to 1495”].
Munich 2020.
XIV/514 P. with 13 in-text illustrations, 5 diagrams, 14 tables, 1,390 coin illustrations.
Hardcover, stitch binding. Size: A4 22 x 30 cm. ISBN 978-3-98137-192-5.
Weight: 2,424 g
95 euros

Numismatist Dr. Hubert Ruß has produced a new standard work cataloging the medieval
coins of Würzburg (approx. 900-1495). He provides a detailed monetary history of this
period, based on a detailed catalog of 699 coin types. His book is an extensive study of the
coinage of one of the most important ecclesiastical authorities in southern Germany. It is also
an essential reference work for anybody that is working with or researching the coinage of
Würzburg.

The Diocese of Würzburg

Bonifatius is said to have founded the diocese of Würzburg around the year 741/2. He chose a
strategically favorable place for the seat of this bishopric located on the river Main. At a time
when there weren’t any usable roads in Central Europe, the Main connected the wealthy
Bohemia to the hubs of trade and crafts located on the Rhine.
This means that Würzburg gained a very high level of political and economic significance.
And, for that reason, coins were being minted there from as far back as the Early Middle
Ages: the first coins were issued in the name of King Louis the Child (899-911).
The first written reference to the minting privilege of the Würzburg bishops dates back to
1030. At that time, the bishops had already been using the mint for a long time, together with
the kings and emperors of the Holy Roman Empire. This practice ended with Henry IV, Holy
Roman Emperor. Since Bishop Erlung (1006-1121), coins in Würzburg were minted almost
exclusively by bishops.

New research findings

Hubert Ruß’s standard work presents a monetary history of the Bishopric, based on state-of-
the-art research. It contains a wide range of new insights, which are greatly significant for
numismatics:

 A range of unpublished coin types and varieties

 A range of previously unknown mints, mint masters, and denominations

 New datings and new attributions of a range of coin types to bishops or rulers

 Record of mint masters and other mint officials mentioned in archival sources

 Two of the mint masters among the Catholic bishops were Jewish

 Record of all European hoards with Würzburg coins, up to 2018

 Evaluation of the archival sources for the Würzburg coin standard, weight and fineness

An easy-to-use reference work

Hubert Ruß has produced a type catalog, describing many never-before published coin types
for the first time.
Every coin type is cataloged in full with all varieties; the text also provides locations of coins
at coin cabinets, auction catalogues, and numismatic literature. Thanks to the multiple
concordances, monogram concordance, and extensive register, the catalog and texts are quick
and easy to explore, even for impatient users.

The book is priced at 95 euros and is available to buy from

Künker Numismatik AG

Löwengrube 12

D-80333 Munich

Tel.: +49 89 5527849 0

service at kuenker-numismatik.de

or from

Fritz Rudolf Künker

Nobbenburger Str. 4a

D-49076 Osnabrück

Tel.: +49 541 96 202 0

service at kuenker.de

NEW BOOK: PLEASE IGNORE OUR TIME MACHINE

The cover of the Central States Numismatic Society's "magazine that never was" featured that lovable 19th century San Francisco eccentric "Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico".  Today's equivalent in modern numismatics in dealer Allen Berman and his alter ego King Alanus of Bermania.  This press release announces a new book published by the Royal Bermanian Printing Office.
-Editor

Bermanian Guild of Numismatists Fights Covid Boredom

Many readers have heard of the jovial Bermanian Guild of Numismatists over the years.  Led by King Alanus of Bermania (aka Numismatist Allen G. Berman), this organization has been meeting to hear humorous short stories at the New York International Numismatic Convention and other major events since the 1990s.  Unfortunately, auction schedules have prevented many from attending at times.  Finally, the Royal Bermanian Printing Office, in collaboration with Amazon.com, has enabled all who need a laugh to enjoy these stories on their own schedule.

Please Ignore Our Time Machine: Exciting Tales of Da Vinci, Pastrami, Time Travel, and Howard Hughes is set in a quaint little Eastern European kingdom, filled with nice but idiosyncratic people and peppered with dragons and cynical, talking horses. The story traces the escapades of the Bermanian people as they creatively navigate the globe and the centuries. It also gives the origins of some important Bermanian coin issues, such as the Royal Bermanian Tickle Token.

According to Red Book editor emeritus and former ANA President Kenneth Bressett, “I surely do find it fascinating.  It warms my heart to know there are still people in this world that think the way he does, and can share their enthusiasm with others.  His sense of humor, knowledge of all things historical, fictional, and utopian is astounding. … It will take a prominent place in the ‘treasured’ section of my library.”

Observing the current situation, where most people around the globe are forced to stay at home and are spending more time pursuing indoor activities, Bressett commented, “I truly enjoyed the book and I am sure that others will too. It is a great remedy for these weeks of confinement and isolation. Even those not of Bermanian persuasion will find it a most intriguing adventure through time.”

            The 310 page book is available both in soft cover and Kindle versions.  The soft cover, autographed, is available directly from Allen G. Berman (POB 605, Fairfield, CT  06824; agberman at aol.com) for $15 plus $4 postage.  However King Alanus has authorized Amazon.com to provide the book at a discounted price of $13.95.  The eBook is available exclusively through Amazon.com ($5.95) as His Majesty does not know how to use an eBook.  Other Bermanian products available at the Royal Bermanian Website,
http://www.bermania.org/

Here's the book's full description from Amazon.
-Editor

Please Ignore Our Time Machine is set in a quirky little Eastern European kingdom, filled with nice but idiosyncratic people and peppered with dragons and cynical, talking horses. The story traces the escapades of the Bermanian people as they creatively navigate the globe and the centuries.

Melvin the Octogenarian has just uprooted his ancient people from their ancestral home in Brooklyn. Following his hunch that the mysterious “Tourist Brochure,” will lead them to a land flowing with milk and honey, they arrive at the Bering Sea with few provisions. So what’s to worry? Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose pulls up before them, and the motley crowd of peasants and livestock file onto the plane, arguing about any triviality they can think of all the while. Such is the sort of preposterous turn of events which brings laughter to those who follow this quirky tribe to their new home near the Danube. . . . Zerbi just created an anesthetic based on boredom, while his assistant mistakes his other invention, a time machine, for a device to reincarnate latkes. Some scientists are more perceptive than others, but they are Bermanians all!

An interwoven series of stories, some would say they have a bit of the flavors of Sholem Aleichem and Terry Pratchett. Excerpts have been pleasing audiences at micro-national gatherings (
http://www.bermania.org/) and professional conferences for decades. Now it’s time to let the rest of the world in on the joke.

For more information on the book, or to order, see:

Please Ignore Our Time Machine: Exciting Tales of Da Vinci, Pastrami, Time Travel, and Howard Hughes

(https://www.amazon.com/Please-Ignore-Our-Time-Machine-ebook/dp/B084FMFBK7/ref=sr_1_1)

For more information on the Kingdom of Bermania, see:

http://www.bermania.org/

For more on the "magazine that never was", see:

PERIODICAL: THE CENTINEL SPRING 2020

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n12a08.html)

PERIODICAL: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NUMISMATICS 31

The American Numismatic Society has published the latest volume of the American Journal of Numismatics (AJN).  At my request editor David Yoon kindly forwarded the table of contents for AJN 31 and excerpts of two articles of interest to students of U.S. medals and colonial currency (appearing elsewhere in this issue).  Thanks!
-Editor

• Editorial Committee     v

• Errata to AJN 29        vii

• Charlotte Potts. Made in Etruria: Recontextualizing the Ramo Secco      1

• Lloyd W. H. Taylor. Birds of Feather, Brothers in Arms: The Coinage of Andragoras and Sophytes  21

• Zahra Alinezhad, Arthur Houghton, and Mostafa Dehpahlavan. New Light on Uncertain Mint 65       81

• Eric Carlen. The Spearhead and Monogram Coinage of Ptolemy V    95

• Dominic Machado. The Distribution and Circulation of the Victoriatus in Northern Italy  117

• Martin Beckmann. The Gold Coinage of Hadrian, AD 130–138        143

• David Woods. Gallienus, Amalthea, and the Pietas Faleri 187

• Qi Xiaoyan. Samarqand’s Cast Coinage from the Early Seventh to the Mid-Eighth Century AD: An Assessment Based on Chinese Sources and Numismatic Evidence        205

• Jeremy A. Simmons. Making Sense of Nonsense: Approaches to Greco-Roman Legends on Western Ká¹£atrapa Coinage      225

• Jake Benson. Curious Colors of Currency: Security Marbling on Financial Instruments During the Long Eighteenth Century  277

• Frank Kovacs. The Medal of Honor of the Union League of Philadelphia

For more information on the American Journal of Numismatics, see:

http://numismatics.org/publications/ajn/

DWIGHT L. MUSSER (1926-2018)

Neil Shafer writes:

"Just recently I found out that this great pioneer in the paper money field
had passed  away in mid-2018 at the age of 92.  Older collectors may
remember his high profile activity in his first love, the emergency notes
of Germany from the post-World War I period, generally referred to as
Notgeld.  He was a true master of the field, with his years of the highest
activity in the 1960s and 1970s.
He delved into every conceivable aspect
of these colorful little pieces, publishing a wide variety of pamphlets and
articles on the subject.

In his later years he lived in West Virginia and
steadily decreased his numismatic activity.  Glaucoma put a virtual end to
his work with notes, though he was in communication with a number of folks
by phone.  He was also given some well-deserved recognition by the IBNS
through installation into their Hall of Fame. Dwight was a true gentleman
who did his best to bring life to this enormous series of notes."

Thanks.
Here's an excerpt from Musser's online obituary.
-Editor

Dwight L Musser departed this earthly plane to continue the great journey on August 11, 2018.

He is survived by his loving wife of seventy years, Norma Lee (Bradley), four children; David (Janine), Marisa, Cynthia (Stan), Timothy (Sue); five grandchildren; and eight great grandchildren.

Dwight was born on May 10, 1926, in Plymouth, Indiana, during a brief ministerial posting of his father, Rev. J. C. Musser and wife Edna (Phillips), but his roots were deep and forever in the hills of West Virginia. Dwight spent his early years in Glenville and from there to Dunbar where he graduated from High School. He received two undergraduate degrees from Morris Harvey College and his Master of History degree from Marshall University. Dwight, a World War II veteran, served in the US Air Force.

While serving overseas, Dwight became fascinated by the development and myriad manifestations of world-wide forms of currency. His teaching profession transformed into a full-time business selling foreign paper money and he is called, “the Father of World Paper Money Collecting.” He became an expert in the field and contributed many articles to numismatic publications. In 1990, Dwight received the prestigious Numismatic Ambassador Award...

Dwight’s primary intellectual pursuits were in American history and religious philosophy with an emphasis on the development of the various expressions of American Christianity as it emerged from the turbulent European experience.

To read Dwight's online obituary, see:

Dwight L. Musser

(https://www.wvnews.com/obituaries/dwight-l-musser/article_0f86a312-a0ac-11e8-8ad5-5b88e573ae66.html)

DAVID E. SEELYE (1946-2020)

Neil Shafer writes:

"A wonderful guy and very knowledgeable numismatist died on March 24.  David Seelye
was a stalwart in the field of military paper money, tokens, scrip of all
sorts, and currency in general.  He was a staunch and loyal supporter of
the military currency Fest sponsored by Fred Schwan held annually in Ohio.
Always willing to share any and all information with fellow collectors and
researchers, he was also a recent co-author in the field of U.S.
prisoner-of-war chits issued in the various camps here in the U.S.

Personally, we went back around 30 or more years, when he was offering
notes while he was living in Chili, NY. My first purchase from him was a Bahamas 10
shillings of George V in high grade that I cherished for a long time. All
will miss Dave for his friendship and general congeniality which was
all-encompassing.  Everyone thought very highly of him, and his unique
style will be sorely missed."

Jeffrey Zarit of Wylie, Texas writes:

"I first knew David while he lived in Chili, New York in the early 1970’s. He was always an easy going person. Later he worked for a colleague Robert Westfall from Marietta, Ohio. We were often in contact, buying and selling world coins. Even after he started with Military Currency, we did some business. A few years ago, he contacted me about some coins that he accumulated, and I bought them all. Every so often he was offered some coins and he contacted me. I guess I have not physically seen him in about 20 years, but in my mind, I remembered him as always being fair in his business life. We were friends & colleagues for more than 45 years and the world and I miss him greatly."

Bill Myers writes:

"David was the Military Payment Certificate fester who had an inventory worthy of a museum and the knowledge to go with it. He was always willing to take the time to share his knowledge and I am a better numismatist because of it. After David moved to Prescott he was only a few hours away from me so we communicated and saw each other more and become friends as well as colleagues. His contributions to numismatics will be his legacy but his friendship will keep his memory alive. Rest in peace good friend."

In the MPC Gram Series 21 No. 2403  (Mar 27, 2020)