The E-Sylum v25n18 May 1, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun May 1 19:10:46 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 18, May 1, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 1, 2022 <#a01>
** KOLBE & FANNING SYD MARTIN LIBRARY RESULTS <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: CORPUS OF FATIMID COINS: SUPPLEMENT <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: COINS, BANKNOTES, TOKENS OF ISRAEL <#a04>
** THE WHITMAN “RED BOOK” OF CANADIAN COINS <#a05>
** NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS BARRILLA <#a06>
** VIDEO: LARGE CENT COLLECTOR JOHN SAIA <#a07>
** DAVE PERKINS: THE DAY I STOPPED THE PRESS <#a08>
** MORE ON GOLD COIN CIRCULATION IN THE U.S. <#a09>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 1, 2022 <#a10>
** QUERY: LEGENDARY COINS <#a11>
** HEPTAGONAL HALF DOLLAR DESIGN SUGGESTIONS <#a12>
** AUGMENTED REALITY BANKNOTE DEBUTS <#a13>
** VOCABULARY TERMS: INSCRIBE, INSCRIBING <#a14>
** ROBERT BASHLOW, PART ONE <#a15>
** HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 120 <#a16>
** UPCOMING NUMISMATIC EVENTS: MAY 1, 2022 <#a17>
** 2022 ANA MONEY TALKS AND SUNDMAN LECTURES <#a18>
** TOP ANA AWARD NAMED FOR CHESTER L. KRAUSE <#a19>
** TOP PNG AWARD NAMED FOR HARVEY G. STACK <#a20>
** SEDWICK TREASURE AUCTION 31 ANNOUNCED <#a21>
** SEDWICK TREASURE AUCTION 31 SELECTIONS <#a22>
** HERITAGE REGENT AUSTRALIAN GOLD COLLECTION <#a23>
** EARLY AMERICAN MAY 2022 AUCTION HIGHLIGHTS <#a24>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: MAY 1, 2022 <#a25>
** WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: MAY 1, 2022 <#a26>
** GENERAL STEPHEN D. LEE'S CONFEDERATE COIN <#a27>
** NEW PUPPY FINDS GOLD SOVEREIGN CACHE <#a28>
** THE 2022 AUSTRALIAN MINT HONEYBEE COIN <#a29>
** PHYSICAL CRYPTOCURRENCY PREMIUMS <#a30>
** THE ENCASED POSTAGE STAMP <#a31>
** NEW GUINEA HEAD TAX TOKENS <#a32>
** THE S.S. REPUBLIC C.Q.D. DISTRESS SIGNAL MEDAL <#a33>
** LOOSE CHANGE: MAY 1, 2022 <#a34>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 1, 2022

New subscribers this week include:
John Bach,
Ed Kelliher, and
James Ross.
Welcome aboard! We now have 7,001 subscribers.

Ken Spindler writes: "Congratulations on making 7,000!"
Thanks.  At 7,001 I was reluctant to trumpet the milestone, because we regularly have 3 or 4 additions and subtractions every week.  This week was no exception, and you can see where we landed again.  Thanks to everyone who helped recruit new subscribers recently.  Keep those email addresses coming!

This week we open with results of the Syd Martin numismatic library sale, two new books (and three more in the works), updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, half dollar design suggestions, and more.

Other topics this week include the "Red Book" of Canadian coins, gold coin circulation in the U.S., an augmented reality banknote, Robert Bashlow, John Whitney Walter, upcoming world numismatic events, the Chester Krause and Harvey Stack awards, auction previews, Australian gold, encased postage stamps, physical cryptocurrency, and New Guinea head tax tokens.

To learn more about Fatimid coins, Israeli coins, tokens and banknotes,
 Barrilla, the John Fritz medal,  Tiffany's TiffCoins, creating the Statehood Quarters, a gold "finger" bar, Admiral Vernon medals, Flanagan's Punch, the Paul Revere Sword in Hand note, Confederate General Stephen D. Lee's David Flight dollar, Australia’s honey bee coin, heptagons, hendecagons, and secret marks on coins, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING SYD MARTIN LIBRARY RESULTS

Here's a press release with impressive results from yesterday's Kolbe & Fanning sale of the Syd Martin numismatic library.
-Editor

On Saturday, Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers sold at auction the outstanding numismatic library formed by ANS President Syd Martin in what proved to be an exciting and memorable event. Prices across the board were generally very strong, and a number of record prices were realized for individual items. Some particularly notable results include the following (prices here quoted do not include the 20% premium):

Lot 64: Walter Breen’s personal, annotated copy of his 1988 Complete Encyclopedia, estimated at $5,000, opened to bidders watching the live online sale for an amazing $30,000, before a few additional bids drove the price up to $37,500 hammer

Lot 270: Breen’s extraordinarily annotated copy of Miller & Ryder on the state copper coinages, described as one of the true gems of the Syd Martin Library, sold for $27,500

Lot 138: continuing the interest in Breen-annotated volumes, the copy of Crosby’s Early Coins of America annotated by him had three bidders active above the $10,000 mark before closing at $14,000

Lot 264: an exquisitely bound complete set of Mehl’s Numismatic Monthly was the subject of a fierce bidding war between two determined collectors before closing at $14,000

Lot 131: another beautifully bound set, this time of The Colonial Newsletter, also received heavy bidding and brought $10,000

Lot 168: Charles Bushnell’s copy of George Ewing’s 1724 Defence of the Conduct of the People of Ireland, one of the most important and rarest of the attacks on the William Wood coinage, sold for $10,000

More than ten lots closed at $10,000 or higher, with enormous interest shown in the Breen material, rare publications on colonial coins, exceptional bindings, and archival materials. Many items estimated in the hundreds brought prices in the thousands, and the sell rate was well over 90%. It was a truly memorable occasion, and a testimony to the care with which Syd Martin had developed his library over the years. He cared deeply for his books, and it was gratifying to see that this respect was shared by many others.

We want to thank everyone who participated in the sale and who helped make it happen. A full prices realized list will be posted to the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com. Our next sale is tentatively scheduled for August—more on that later!

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

KOLBE & FANNING SYD MARTIN LIBRARY SALE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n14a02.html)

KOLBE & FANNING SYD MARTIN LIBRARY SELECTIONS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n15a02.html)

MORE SYD MARTIN LIBRARY SELECTIONS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n16a02.html)

SOME MORE SYD MARTIN LIBRARY SELECTIONS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n17a02.html)

NEW BOOK: CORPUS OF FATIMID COINS: SUPPLEMENT

Stephen Album Rare Coins has published a Supplement to Norman Douglas Nicol's 2006 publication on Fatimid Coins.
-Editor

A Corpus of Fatimid Coins: Supplement

Nicol, Norman Douglas

Santa Rosa, 2021, 56 pages, 10 plates, softcover.

A wonderful addition to the original 2006 publication with this supplement covering those coins not included in the original work. Includes approximately 400 new listings with ten plates of high quality black and white images.

SARC Item No. 282646

Price: $30 USD

USA Shipping (USPS Media Mail): $5 USD

International Shipping (First-Class Mail): $25 USD

Shipping rates are for 1 copy only. To inquire about rates for multiple copies please contact us. (Limit 3 copies per person).

To purchase a copy send an email to:

info at stevealbum.com

For more information, or to order, see:

A Corpus of Fatimid Coins - Supplement

(https://db.stevealbum.com/php/fatimidsupplement.php)

NEW BOOK: COINS, BANKNOTES, TOKENS OF ISRAEL

An article by Hans Ludwig Grabowski on the Geldsheine Online site describes a new book on the coins, banknotes and tokens of Israel.
Here's a Google-translated version.
-Editor

Israel Asher:

Guide Book – Coins, Banknotes and Tokens of Israel 2022/23

224 pages, illustrated in color throughout,

Format 16.5 cm x 23.7 cm, paperback, Isranumis 2022,

Price: 25.00 euros.

Without ISBN.

In the new bilingual (Hebrew and English) catalog and price guide on the Israeli coins and banknotes, those of the State of Israel and the British Mandate of Palestine and primary trademarks from the preceding period of Ottoman rule to the present are extensively described including variants, illustrated in color and in US - valued in dollars.

As both Hebrew and Arabic books are read from back to front, the catalog begins with the Hebrew title with the coins under the British Mandate from 1927 to 1948, followed by those of the State of Israel from 1948 in the various currencies. Samples and incorrect embossing are then also listed.

The coin catalog concludes with a table of all commemorative coins issued by the State of Israel from 1958 to 2001. The coin section covers just over a hundred pages and is followed by the catalog section on paper money. This begins with the rare checks from the Anglo-Palestine Company from 1914, followed by the extremely rare and highly sought-after issues from the British Mandate of Palestine from 1927, including forgeries and also rare emergency issues. The last issues under British mandate were those of the Anglo-Palestine Bank from 1948. This is followed by Israel's paper money including sample certificates and cataloging of sheet parts. The paper money part comes in almost 100 book pages. The end or the beginning - depending on which title you open the catalog from - form so-called tokens (substitute money from trading companies),

As a concordance to our own cataloging, the catalog numbers are listed according to the well-known Krause catalogs "World Coins" and "World Paper Money" as well as to Sylvia Haffner (Judaic Tokens) and Owen W. Linzmayer (The Banknote Book).

Anyone interested in the testimonies of Israeli monetary history cannot ignore Israel Asher's highly recommended new catalogue.

Please contact directly via:

www.isranumis.com, E-mail:

isranumis at yahoo.com.

To read the complete article, see:

Asher: Guide Book – Coins, Banknotes and Tokens of Israel 2022/23

(https://www.geldscheine-online.com/post/asher-guide-book-coins-banknotes-and-tokens-of-israel-2022-23)

THE WHITMAN “RED BOOK” OF CANADIAN COINS

Last week David Gladfelter kicked off an email discussion of the Whitman Red Book of Canadian coins with a note to Howard R. Engel of
Richard Stockley Books.
-Editor

David wrote:

"Howard, what do you know about the so-called Whitman “Red Book” of Canadian coins, by James A. Haxby? The “first edition” came out in 2012 at $20 but there seem to have been no others. The Unitrade Press guide by Haxby & Willey continues to come out annually and so does the Charlton guide. What happened to the Whitman version? I see it advertised for >$100 U.S. – that’s the “first edition”. Strange."

Howard wrote:

"Thanks for your intriguing inquiry.  As it turns out, I know precious little about this particular Haxby publication on Canadian decimal coins.  In fact, it is quite apparent to me from your question that you already know that much more about it than I do.  That said, is this an accurate, more detailed description of it:

"Haxby, James A. A GUIDE BOOK OF CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS. First edition. Whitman: Atlanta, 2012. 8vo, original pictorial boards. 461, (3) pages; illustrated in color?

"Consequently, I'm copying this message to a few numismatic friends of mine (and some are no doubt likewise numismatic friends of yours as well).  I'm hoping at least one or more of them may well be able to shed some light on this question.  Interestingly, 3 are from the Canadian author side (i.e. Alan, Dan and Darryl) while the other 3 are from the U.S. publisher side (i.e. Joel, Len and Wayne).  I trust that one or more of them would be so kind as to enlighten the rest of us who may not already know much about this particular Haxby work."

In addition to me, Howard contacted Alan Roy, Dan Gosling, Darryl Atchison, Joel Orosz, and Len Augsburger.
I went straight to the source and immediately passed the question to Dennis Tucker of Whitman Publishing.
-Editor

Dennis wrote:

"Thank you for your interest in this book. David is correct, we published the 1st edition in 2012, and the 2nd edition is a work in progress."

Dennis kindly provided sample pages from the upcoming book.
-Editor

Dennis adds:

"This hasn’t been publicized yet, but later this year we’ll be releasing 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens, a richly illustrated new coffee-table book sure to delight every collector and historian. The author is Dr. Harvey Richer, whose volume on the gold coins of Newfoundland you might be familiar with."

Canadian Numismatic Bibliography editor
Darryl Atchison wrote:

"I wasn't aware of this book at all since it was published after the Canadian Numismatic Bibliography came out in 2007 and I often miss new publications from that side of the pond!

"I would love to get my hands on a copy to review for an update of the CNB that I am currently working on."

That's all great news!  We can all look forward to some new numismatic books in the near and farther future:

Haxby, James A., A Guide Book of Canadian Coins and Tokens, Second edition.

Richer, Harvey, 100 Greatest Canadian Coins and Tokens, First edition

Atchison, Darryl, Canadian Numismatic Bibliography, Second edition

-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NEW BOOK: THE GUIDE BOOK OF CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n05a04.html)

BOOK REVIEW: THE GUIDE BOOK OF CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n08a03.html)

BOOK REVIEW: A GUIDE BOOK OF CANADIAN COINS AND TOKENS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n15a04.html)

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS BARRILLA

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is Barrilla, an important periodical on Philippine numismatics. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Newman Portal Adds Barrilla

The Philippine Central Bank Money Museum issued Barrilla, a quarterly periodical, from 1974 to 1989, with the cooperation of the Philippine Numismatic and Antiquarian Society. The journal is primarily dedicated to Philippine Numismatics and includes occasional American content. The April 1977 issue, for example, presented “Die Varieties of the 1732 Pillar Dollar,” by Angelita L. Legarda.

The entire run of this periodical is now available via Newman Portal. Many thanks to Ken Berger, for loaning his set of Barrilla for scanning, and to Deputy Director Regina Mercedes C. Cruz, of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, for facilitating access to this publication.

Link to Barrilla on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/543561

VIDEO: LARGE CENT COLLECTOR JOHN SAIA

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's an interview with Large Cent collector John Saia.
-Editor

Coin Collector Brings Rare Pattern Large Cent to Whitman Coin Expo

VIDEO: 4:00.

John Saia, Coin Collector, Facebook; Numismatica,

David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

April 1, 2022.

Going to a coin convention allows you to talk to other collectors and share their interests. The best way to learn about numismatics is to share with others. Coin collector John Saia talks about a rare pattern large cent and why he comes to the Whitman Expo.

David adds:

"The Whitman Expo is the most important coin convention on the East Coast. Held three time a year it attracts collectors and dealers who want to do business. This collector collects large cents and enjoys CoinTelevision too!"

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/4eGnuYi_vXo

DAVE PERKINS: THE DAY I STOPPED THE PRESS

With permission, we're republishing an article by NBS Board member W. David Perkins.  Dave's piece on correcting errors in the first printing of the 1999 edition of Jules Reiver's early silver dollars book was originally published in the March 2022 issue of the John Reich Journal, the official publication of the John Reich Collectors Society.
-Editor

The Day I Stopped the Press

By W. David Perkins, NLG

At some point in time Russ Logan sent me a package.  Included was an e-mail note exchange between Russ and I dated Wednesday April 21, 1999.

Subject:  Re: Jules Book

David:

Save all your notes, e-mails and correspondence on Jules’ book in a safe place.

In fifteen years, they will make a great article!

Best……………………………………………………Russ

“Jules’ book” was THE UNITED STATES EARLY SILVER DOLLARS 1794 to 1803 published by Krause Publications (1999).  This book was to take the place of Milferd H. Bolender’s THE UNITED STATES EARLY SILVER DOLLARS from 1794 to 1803 which had been first published in 1950.

Sorry Russ, this article is about 8 years late but here is the story.

Jules had updated the Bolender silver dollar book over the years for Krause Publications, primarily with changes in the rarity ratings and the addition of any new early dollar die marriages.  Krause and Jules were jointly working on a new book to be published under Jules’ name.

Both Krause and Jules were pushing hard to get the book published as soon as possible.  Jules took all the photos from coins in his collection of early dollars by die marriage and die state and sent them to Krause for publication in the book.

I was a contributor to the book but was not given a chance to review it before publication.  I’m not sure if Jules was asked to review it either (?).

On March 3, 1999 I received a few copies of the book from the publisher.  It didn’t take long to realize there were MAJOR PROBLEMS.  I first spotted a 1799 B-10 Dollar mixed in with the 1798s.  I quickly found other incorrect plate coins.  I worked from home at the time and “took a little time off” that afternoon to go through the book and attributed every plate coin.  According to my notes I found 20 incorrect plate photos.

I immediately notified the editor and suggested she may want to “Stop the Press!”  In reality, it was too late as boxes of the books had already been shipped to distributors.  I learned this when our JRCS President  and Editor called me and asked what was going on.  He had received the books he’d ordered from his distributor who was asking for the books to be returned.

The copies printed prior to the errors being discovered have the copyright listed as:

© 1999 by

Jules Reiver

Krause Publications

Much of March 1999 was spent correcting the plates and book.  I sent a list of the errors and corrections and in April 1999 the corrected book was published and distributed.   I have an original copy with errors and my correspondence with the Editor of the book.

The copies printed after the recall and corrections have “2nd Printing” added, as follows:

2nd Printing

© 1999 by

Jules Reiver

Krause Publications

Image: Page 41 from the first printing of the Reiver Book.  The 1799 B-10 Dollar is clearly out of sequence and is surrounded by 1798s.

For more information on the John Reich Collectors Society, see:

https://www.jrcs.org/

MORE ON GOLD COIN CIRCULATION IN THE U.S.

Douglas Ward submitted this piece in response to the
‘Gold Coin Circulation’ item in the April 17, 2022 E-Sylum.
Thanks!
-Editor

A figure of historical numismatic consequence seemed to have first proposed halting the coining of gold in 1910. Abram Piatt Andrew had been Assistant Treasury Secretary only a few months when his proposal was picked up in The Washington Post on Sept. 3rd, 1910;

Coinage of gold in the United States will be suspended for an indefinite period if plans now forming in the Treasury Department are adopted. The idea is to issue gold certificates for all gold bullion and foreign coin turned into the mints, instead of coining them into eagles and double eagles. It is understood that Treasurer McClung, in his annual report will indorse the plan, which was originated by A. Piatt Andrew, now Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, when he was director of the mint.

Two reasons for such a step are pointed out. The first is to save from $300,000 to $500,000 a year in mint expenses. The second is to stop coining gold at the expense of the United States for the convenience of foreign money markets, which use it for settlement of commercial balances.

During his tenure as Mint Director, October 1909 to June 1910, Dr. Andrew earned the wrath of many numismatists that reverberates to this day. As part of a negotiated settlement with William H. Woodin, he ordered the destruction of nearly all pattern dies and hubs at the Philadelphia Mint – a great historical and artistic loss. Some of his lesser known accomplishments include the following: As a Harvard Associate Professor he had predicted the banking panic of 1907, which lead to his nomination for Director of the Mint. Between 1909 and 1914 he was  a member of the National Monetary Commission and was instrumental in the drafting of legislation that lead to today’s Federal Reserve Bank. He was an ambulance driver during World War I and founded the American Field Service (AFS), which continues to this day. As a representative from Massachusetts he was elected to Congress in 1921 and served till his death in 1936. Dr. Andrews is a somewhat forgotten individual of historical
  significance, even if infamous amongst the numismatic community.

Image: Portrait of Abram Piatt Andrew, c. 1901. Ref.
Economics in the Rear-View Mirror by I. Collier.
Image courtesy of Wikipedia.

Doug adds:

"In 1914 he wrote a timeless article that echoes to this day; "The Crux of the Immigration Question."*  It's an interesting read and reminded me that politicians and governments rarely solve any problems and the contrary is actually the rule.

*“The Crux of the Immigration Question,” by A. Piatt Andrew, The North American Review, Vol. 199, No. 703, June, 1914, pages 866 – 878."

I read the article and could forward a copy to anyone interested.  I agree that it's timeless.  The more things change, the more they stay the same...
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

NNP ADDS TREASURY DEPARTMENT PRESS RELEASES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n16a04.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 1, 2022

 The John Fritz Medal Book
NBS President Tom Harrison writes:

"I wanted to share a note regarding a book about the John Fritz Medal you highlighted in last week's E-Sylum. In 1917 the John Fritz Medal Board of Award published a book detailing the medal's history, the rules for receiving the award, a list of Directors from the four national societies who voted for the award recipients and biographical information about the first 13 awardees. The 98 page octavo book titled The John Fritz Medal has especially fine portraits of each recipient and a two or three page bio. Here are photos of the cover depicting an embossed gold John Fritz Medal and the Fritz portrait."

Thanks - a great book I haven't yet acquired for my library.  I do have a couple of the annually-issued volumes issued for that year's nominee.  I can't readily access that shelf but I'll have a look at them another time.  They aren't thick and would be getting larger every year if they continued to feature details on all previous recipients.  Does anyone else have one of these?
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE JOHN FRITZ MEDAL

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n17a27.html)

 Query: Tiffany's TiffCoins
Justin J. Perrault writes:

"I was just doing some research and was intrigued to come across the Tiffcoin that was actually really sold by Tiffany & Co. earlier this month.  It was thought to be an April Fool's joke but turned out to be real.  I don't recall ever seeing this highlighted in The E-Sylum.  Here are some links to the item Tiffany's was selling, and one that is currently available for sale on eBay with a hefty mark-up.  I also did not realize that Tiffany's actually did issue coins in the 1970's and 1980's that were redeemable for jewelry in their stores.  That is what they based this new release upon.  Has anyone ever come across one of these original coins for sale in the collector marketplace?"

Great question.  These custom gift coins are great marketing tools that many businesses have used.  Does anyone have information on the earlier versions of Tiffany coins?
-Editor

For more information, or to order, see:

TiffCoin

(https://www.tiffany.com/stories/guide/tiffcoin/)

One TiffCoin | Edition 69 of 499 | 18K Gold Coin by Tiffany & Co.

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/154946028759)

 Query: Campbell Book on POW Notes
Mark Schiffer writes:

"I was wondering if anyone would be able to assist me. I am trying to find a copy of the Campbell Catalog on POW banknotes to purchase.
If not, would anyone be able to provide me with the actual title of the catalog and the author's full name so that I may be able to search for it?"

I was unsure about the name of the book myself.
I checked with Ray Czahor who doesn't have it in stock, but was able to give us this identification: Lance Campbell, Prisoner of
  War and Concentration Camp Money of the Twentieth
  Century,  Second Edition, 1993.  It was published by BNR Press.
I found an image of the 1st edition online.
Can anyone help Mark find a copy?  Thanks.
-Editor

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 A GUIDE BOOK OF QUARTER EAGLE GOLD COINS,
the latest book by Q. David Bowers, will debut soon. Keep abreast of new Whitman Publishing books, folders, and albums online at
at
Whitman.com
, or call 1-800-546-2995.

QUERY: LEGENDARY COINS

New member Ed Kelliher writes:

"I'm just learning about the NBS, and have just sent out my check for a 3-year print-and-digital membership.

     In the meantime, I could really use your help:
     Throughout my search, you appear to be the authorized reference source closest to that which I'm investigating.
      Specifically, I seek articles and/or artifacts (books, magazines, etc.) that focus on what makes a coin special, and how it got that way, including the history leading up to the coin's notoriety.

       So, for example, I know there are accounts out there that talk to the beautiful and (in)famous 1916 Standing Liberty quarter.
Well, in similar vein, there MUST be similar accounts for the why and how behind the 3-legged buffalo(es), the allure of overdates and multiple mintmarks, the driver(s) behind minting ultra-high relief specimens, the fuzzy universe of double dies, the history behind the "heavy" 1852-O quarter, etc...I could go on and on.

        Is there, like, a certain series of books or articles that I can buy ?

A Sincere Thanks for any/all information you can provide !"

Welcome to NBS!

Almost any book by Q. David Bowers would fit the bill at least in part.  Adventures With Rare Coins and the sequel More Adventures With Rare Coins are good places to start.  Some other good general books in my library include Twisted Tails: Sifted Fact, Fantasy and Fiction From U.S. Coin History by Robert Van Ryzin and Facts & Fictions About Coins by Leon Lindheim.  A newer one covering some interesting oddball topics is Keep the Change: A Collector's Tales of Lucky Pennies, Counterfeit C-Notes, and Curious Currency by Harley J. Spiller.

I can also highly recommend Roger Burdette's well-researched three volume work, Renaissance of American Coinage covering the 1905-1921 period.   A great coffee-table book on errors is Mike Byers' World's Greatest Mint Errors.  And Whitman Publications has a whole series of "100 Greatest" books including titles on U.S. coins and U.S. error coins.  Most of these are out of print but available thru numismatic booksellers and Internet sellers.

I reached out to NBS Board member Joel Orosz who provided a number of great additions.  Thanks!  What else would readers recommend?
-Editor

I think you have gotten Mr. Kelliher off to a great start.  I have a few ideas to add:

In addition to QDB's two Adventures with Rare Coins books, he also wrote two Coins and Collectors volumes that also talk a lot about "special" coins, and what makes them the subject of so much longing and romance.

Of course, one must not forget the intriguing story of the enigmatic 1792 half dismes, as told by Pete Smith, Joel J. Orosz and Leonard Augsburger in their award-winning 1792:  Birth of a Nation's Coinage.  Not only are the authors insightful and scholarly, they are all ruggedly handsome, too!

Eric P. Newman's The Secret of the Good Samaritan Shilling is a must-read, as is Newman's and Ken Bressett's The Fantastic 1804 Dollar.

For the 1913 Liberty Head nickels, there is Paul Montgomery, Mark Borckardt and Ray Knight, Million Dollar Nickels.

Kevin Flynn's The 1894-S Dime:  A Mystery Unraveled, is a good read, as is Jim Neiswinter's The Aristocrat:  The Story of the 1793 Sheldon 15.

QDB's The 1822 Gold Half Eagle:  The Story of a Rarity, covers this legendary coin well.  So does Alison Frankel for the 1933 double eagle in her Double Eagle.

Martin Logies covers The Flowing Hair Silver Dollars of 1794, and Dean Albanese rather breathlessly hypes the 1804 plain-4 proof eagle in King of Eagles:  The Most Remarkable Coin Ever Produced by the U.S. Mint.

Finally, an oldie but goodie, Don Taxay's Counterfeit, Mis-Struck, and Unofficial U. S. Coins, has a clunky title, but absolutely fascinating contents. It covers coins as familiar as 1914-D Lincolns and 1937-D "Three-Legged" Buffalo nickels, to more esoteric delicacies, as the "Novum Belgium" piece, or the "1805" silver dollar.

Oddly, there are a couple of prized pieces for which I cannot think of a single comprehensive book written about them, namely the Brasher Doubloon and the 1848 "Cal." quarter eagle.

Of course, a thorough search of the Newman Numismatic Portal could turn up articles by the dozen on these topics.  But these books should be enough to keep Mr. Kelliher occupied for a while.

Finally, I'd encourage Mr. Kelliher to write an article on his findings for The Asylum. It is amazing how often important details from key references are overlooked, even when that reference has been in print for a long time.

HEPTAGONAL HALF DOLLAR DESIGN SUGGESTIONS

Wayne Pearson submitted these thoughts on potential news designs for the U.S. half dollar.  Thanks.
-Editor

When the Eisenhower dollar was reduced in size, we received a new design in Susan B. Anthony.

When the dollar coin became the ‘Golden dollar’, again we received a new design.

I recently suggested that in order to get the half dollar coin used, in vending machines, we could reduce it in size and change the shape to a heptagon like they have in the United Kingdom.

Since then, I’ve been thinking, with a smaller version with a different shape, would a new design of a different person also be merited instead of a different version of John F. Kennedy?

 Robert Kennedy and Theodore Roosevelt designs

Many people could be used. I’ve worked up a few ideas. Would we keep it in the family with Robert F. Kennedy? Would we use a different political party with Theodore Roosevelt? Would we use a woman, like Alice Paul?

 Alice Paul and Johnny Carson designs

Or would we take the coin in a different direction, away from politics, and use someone like Johnny Carson, a favorite of mine.

Or yet another?

I’m sure all of you have a thought on someone you would like to see on a coin.

Our coins really need something to excite collectors. The new Washington on the quarter after 90 years of the same design is a welcome relief.

Many of us are old enough to remember late night TV host Johnny Carson.
I wouldn't vote to honor him with a coin, but it's never a bad idea to consider new designs for coins past their expiration date. I like both the Alice Paul and Teddy Roosevelt ideas. What do readers think?
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KENNEDY HALF DOLLAR DESIGN PROPOSAL

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n15a19.html)