The E-Sylum v25n19 May 8, 2022

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun May 8 18:58:23 PDT 2022

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 25, Number 19, May 8, 2022
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 8, 2022 <#a01>
** NEW BOOK: CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR DIE STATES <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: SOUTH KOREAN COINS <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: PLANTS IN MODERN NUMISMATICS <#a04>
** BANKNOTE BOOK ROLLS OUT ACCESS TO CHECKLISTS <#a05>
** TWIN BOOK AWARDS FOR AUTHOR RUSTY GOE <#a06>
** APRIL 2022 NNP SYMPOSIUM VIDEOS POSTED <#a07>
** VIDEO: JOHN FEIGENBAUM INTERVIEW <#a08>
** SPRING 2022 TORONTO COIN EXPO REPORT <#a09>
** PAN CIVIL WAR SHOWCASE UPDATE <#a10>
** CONTINENTAL DOLLAR RESTRIKE DIE SELLS BIG! <#a11>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 8, 2022 <#a12>
** JILL MAGID'S TENDER PRESENCE FILM <#a13>
** COIN COLLECTING BUSINESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA <#a14>
** VOCABULARY TERM: INSCRIPTION <#a15>
** ROBERT BASHLOW, PART TWO <#a16>
** NEW NLG EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PATRICK IAN PEREZ  <#a17>
** UPCOMING NUMISMATIC EVENTS: MAY 8, 2022 <#a18>
** HEIDELBERGER MüNZHANDLUNG AUCTION 84 <#a19>
** STEPHEN ALBUM RARE COINS AUCTION 43 <#a20>
** MORE EARLY AMERICAN MAY 2022 HIGHLIGHTS <#a21>
** CNG FEATURE AUCTION 120 HIGHLIGHTS <#a22>
** CNG ISLAMIC SALE I HIGHLIGHTS <#a23>
** DAVISSON'S ANNOUNCES E-AUCTION 43  <#a24>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: MAY 8, 2022 <#a25>
** ROMAN COINS FOUND IN SWITZERLAND <#a26>
** VALE OF PEWSEY HOARD OF ROMAN SILVER COINS <#a27>
** MEDIEVAL BRACTEATE HOARD IN POLAND <#a28>
** 1792 DISME OFFERED <#a29>
** COMMEMORATIVE MARKET RISE AND FALL, PART 1 <#a30>
** JACOB HOUCK'S COUNTERSTAMP <#a31>
** ODE TO A SQUISHED DIME <#a32>
** ANS INDIAN PEACE MEDAL COLLECTION <#a33>
** JEWISH PRESENTATION MEDALS <#a34>
** LOOSE CHANGE: MAY 8, 2022 <#a35>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here to subscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM MAY 8, 2022

New subscribers this week include:
Daniel Vaisrub, courtesy Laurence Edwards.

I have no idea of how many subscribers we have right now, but it's over 6,250.  Our email hosting provider has changed hands and we're being moved to new servers.  As part of the transition hundreds of email addresses were unsubscribed, and we don't yet know why.  Some were dead email addresses, but others were active.  I resubscribed one reader, but it may take a while to sort everything out.  If you or a friend have been unsubscribed by mistake, please let me know and I'll fix it.

As always, thank you for reading The E-Sylum. If you enjoy it, please send me the email addresses of friends you think may enjoy it as well and I'll send them a subscription. Contact me at whomren at gmail.com anytime regarding your subscription, or questions, comments or suggestions about our content.

So did everyone notice this in the Heritage May 3, 2022 Coin News?

Important: All auctions until further notice will be online only. Take advantage of our high resolution images and videos to place bids up until the live event, and then continue to bid during the Heritage Live auction event, including live streaming audio and video.

This week we open with three new books,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, coin show reports, and more.

Other topics this week include author Rusty Goe, artist Jill Magid, Robert Bashlow, Patrick Ian Perez, a TON of upcoming auction highlights,
coin hoards, the 1792 Disme, Indian Peace Medals and Jewish presentation medals.

To learn more about Capped Bust Half Dollar varieties, South Korean coins,
 Carson City coinage, the Dell Loy Hansen collection, the Toronto Coin Expo, strong prices realized, coins on social media, the Numismatic Literary Guild, the Lusitania medal,  the Castorland medal,  the Pattern Halfgroat of Charles I, and the poem for a squished dime, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

NEW BOOK: CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR DIE STATES

The Bust Half Nut Club has published a new book on the die state progressions of Capped Bust Half Dollar die varieties.
-Editor

The Bust Half Nut Club is proud to announce a new work on the die state progressions of the Capped Bust Half Dollars.

The Die State Progressions of the Capped Bust Half Dollar Die Varieties 1807-1836, First Edition is the result of thousands of hours spent studying the series by Overton die marriage. Much additional attention was focused on the order in which the die cracks and other features appear on the obverse and reverse working dies.

For the study of die state progressions, a new numbering system was needed to describe the die states in the order of occurrence. Die states in this new reference are designated by the Year, the Overton variety number, a decimal point, and the BHNC die state number.

The entries are ordered by Overton die variety. Included are the Leaman-Gunnet emission order number, the Overton designators for the obverse and reverse dies, and the die marriage rarity estimate as revised by the BHNC in December 2020. This is followed by the BHNC die state descriptions and links to images which help illustrate the die states. In the PDF format version, the links are active if you also are connected to the internet.

Printed format (softbound, 5.5" x 8.5", wire binding, 81 pages):  $29.00 plus postage

PDF format (searchable, active links):  $20.00 delivered via email

Both Printed & PDF formats:  $39.00 plus postage

For more information, or to order, see:

(Print version) Die State Progressions of Capped Bust Half Dollar Die Varieties, by BHNC

(https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/die-state-progressions-of-capped-bust-half-dollar-die-varieties-by-bhnc.html)

(Print & PDF combo) Die State Progressions of Capped Bust Half Dollar Die Varieties, by BHNC

(https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/print-pdf-combo-die-state-progressions-of-capped-bust-half-dollar-die-varieties-by-bhnc.html)

NEW BOOK: SOUTH KOREAN COINS

Author Mark Lovmo passed along this information about his new book on South Korean coins. Thanks, and congratulations!
-Editor

I have finished writing a 400-page book on South Korean coins (1959~present).

The book is South Korean Coins in the Era of Development, published by iAsure Group (Journal of East Asian Numismatics). This book is in full color with extensive citations to the source materials.

This book relates for the first time the almost entirely unknown history of Korea's contemporary coins and coin sets that are currently surging in popularity in today's coin market.  This book promises to be the first real standard work in English on the subject of South Korean (Republic of Korea) coins.

South Korean Coins in the Era of Development will debut at the World's Fair of Money in Rosemount, Illinois during the week of August 15th through the 20th.  Online sales and shipping will be available thereafter.   The price per copy is $50 USD.

I am now taking orders for the book.  Interested buyers should contact

mlovmo at hotmail.com to reserve a copy.

A preview of the book, including its table of contents, is available at

http://dokdo-research.com/SouthKoreanCoinBook.html

NEW BOOK: PLANTS IN MODERN NUMISMATICS

Robert Hoge passed along this announcement about a new book in Spanish titled La flora en la Numismática moderna or "Plants in Modern Numismatics".  Thank you!
-Editor

Robert writes:

"Here is another Spanish book presentation announcement -- this time, from the ANE (Asociación Numismática Española, the Spanish Numismatic Association).  I gather that the event is to be held at the HQ of the ANE, C/ de la Diputación, 297, (08009) in Barcelona, at 7:00 p.m. on the 19th.

"Dr. Casas Pla is a friend of mine, and I expect to be in attendance. The title of his new book, in translation, would be "Plants (or plant-life -- flora) in modern numismatics" a broad and captivating collectors' theme."

For more information, see:

https://numisane.org/evento/10670/?instance_id=171

BANKNOTE BOOK ROLLS OUT ACCESS TO CHECKLISTS

Last year CDN Publishing acquired the world paper money catalogs edited by Owen Linzmayer and published under the name of The Banknote Book.
At the time, I noted how  the conversion of the content to a structured database format would lead to many new possibilities.

In this new Greysheet blog article, CDN announces a useful new feature for subscribers.
-Editor

Greysheet and Banknote Book are excited to announce today that we have added the ability for subscribers to download an Excel file of the most current data in the Banknote Book for personal use. According to John Feigenbaum, CDN Publishing CEO, "the Excel checklist has been one the most highly requested features by users of the Banknote Book, and we are really excited to make this feature available to all of our subscribers."

To access the Excel files, users simply need to log in to the site and visit their Banknote Book landing page. From here, click the desired Chapter, and download the file. It's as easy as that.

Feigenbaum adds, "we have many more new features in progress for Banknote Book subscribers. Patrick Ian Perez, Vice President of Data and Content, has been working non-stop on pricing updates. Owen Linzmayer has been busy updating chapters with new entries and our production team is also working to incorporate the latest technology to deliver updated chapters on a nightly basis. This is one of the most exciting projects we've ever attempted and it's all starting to come together."

ABOUT THE BANKNOTE BOOK

Comprised of more than 310 individual chapters (based on country), with a total of 8,200 pages covering more than 77,000 types and varieties, the Banknote Book is the most comprehensive catalog of world paper money in existence.

Users can subscribe to the Banknote Book for as little as $10 per month. The best value can be found by subscribing to the one of our subscription packages.

This is just one of the planned milestones laid out in the firm's product roadmap. Many great possibilities are unlocked by the digital-first strategy, including print-on-demand, completing the circle back to the hardcopy format and country-by-country catalogs enjoyed by so many.
-Editor

Once the roadmap is implemented for world paper money, the technical infrastructure could certainly support world coin data as well.
I don't know what Krause Publications former owner F+W Media spent its millions on before going bankrupt, but they had little to show for it. "F+W Media's past attempt to build an ecommerce business was cited by current company management as a major mistake." (Publishing Insider, June 19, 2019)

I think CDN Publishing is on a path to succeed where others failed, by using a careful step-by-step approach that sticks to the basics of the numismatic publishing business.  We'll look forward to continued product announcements.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Banknote Book Subscribers Now Have Access to Checklists in Excel Format

(https://www.greysheet.com/news/story/banknote-book-subscribers-now-have-access-to-checklists-in-excel-format)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

F+W MEDIA ASSET SALES APPROVED

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n25a06.html)

CDN PUBLISHING ACQUIRES THE BANKNOTE BOOK

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n22a04.html)

THE BANKNOTE BOOK ROADMAP

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n26a06.html)

TWIN BOOK AWARDS FOR AUTHOR RUSTY GOE

This press release provides some more context on Rusty Goe's recent PNG Book of the Year award. Congratulations!
-Editor

In 2021 the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) honored Reno writer/researcher/coin dealer Rusty Goe with double awards for his The Confident Carson City Coin Collector.

At the 2022 Central States Numismatic Society convention in Schaumburg, IL, on April 27, the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG) honored Goe with its prestigious Robert Friedberg Book of the Year award.

In a press release, the PNG stated, "The Robert Friedberg Award, presented to an author in recognition for an outstanding book or other literature, was given to Rusty Goe of Southgate Coins in Reno, Nevada, author of The Confident Carson City Coin Collector. This acclaimed three-volume, 2,500-page reference work is about the historic Nevada branch mint and coins struck there from 1870 to 1893."

This is the second time Goe has won both the NLG's and PNG's Book of the Year awards. In 2004, Goe's The Mint on Carson Street received Book of the Year recognition from both organizations. During the past nearly six decades, only on rare occasions have numismatic authors won both awards for the same book. Walter Breen was so honored in 1988 for his groundbreaking Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins. Q. David Bowers, the most distinguished numismatic author of all time, is another who can claim such distinction. Goe's reception of both NLG and PNG honors twice, spanning an 18-year distance in time, speaks highly of the respect his work regarding the Carson City Mint and its coins has earned in the numismatic community.

After more than a year since its sales launch (February 2021), Southgate Coins’ co-owner, Marie Goe, says the quantity of sets of The Confident Carson City Coin Collector in stock has diminished significantly. Once the stock is depleted, Southgate Coins will not print any more sets.

For more information, see:

https://www.southgatecoins.com/

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: CONFIDENT CARSON CITY COIN COLLECTOR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n05a04.html)

BOOK REVIEW: CONFIDENT CARSON CITY COLLECTOR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n21a06.html)

TOP PNG AWARD NAMED FOR HARVEY G. STACK

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n18a20.html)

APRIL 2022 NNP SYMPOSIUM VIDEOS POSTED

The latest additions to the Newman Numismatic Portal are videos from the recently held NNP Symposium. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Video from the recently held NNP Symposium is now available on Newman Portal. This spring event was held April 8-10 via Zoom, with 24 presentations over a three-day period, focused on U.S. and world numismatics.

Our top three attended sessions included “A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection and a Q&A with John Brush,” “Secrets You Should Know About the Rare Coin and Bullion Business,” presented by Michael Garofalo, and “Understanding the New Complexities of the Numismatic Auction Market,” presented by Tim Welo. We are grateful to CDN, who offered free books in conjunction with the presentation by Mike Garofalo. Newman Portal thanks all presenters, and we’ll be back in the fall with our next event.

Image: Dell Loy Hansen speaks about the formation of his collection.

Link to NNP Symposium video on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/539070?Year=2022&take=50

VIDEO: JOHN FEIGENBAUM INTERVIEW

These are selections from the David Lisot Video Library that feature news and personalities from the world of coin collecting. David has been attending coin conventions since 1972 and began videotaping in 1985. The Newman Numismatic Portal now lists all David’s videos on their website at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

Here's an interview with John Feigenbaum of CDN Publishing.
-Editor

Greysheet Numismatic Publication Optimistic for Coin Market in 2022.

VIDEO: 2.56

John Feigenbaum, CEO, CDN Publishing,

David Lisot, Interviewer, CoinTelevision.com.

April 1, 2022.

The Greysheet is part of CDN Publishing that tracks the price of United States coinage. CEO John Feinenbaum prognosticates about the coin market for 2022 in light of the economy, real estate, and the price of the precious metals.

David adds:

"The Greysheet has been the Bible of coin pricing since the 1960’s. They have a research team that evaluates trends in collecting. John Feigenbaum shares an outlook for numismatics that might please everyone in the marketplace."

An excerpt of the video is available for viewing on the Coin Television YouTube Channel at:

https://youtu.be/Q_EwmNkFzTs

SPRING 2022 TORONTO COIN EXPO REPORT

Allan Julius Behul submitted this note about the Spring 2022 Toronto Coin Expo and a modern Canadian rarity.  Thanks.
-Editor

The ‘Back In-Person’ Spring 2022 Toronto Coin Expo

Canada’s premier coin and bank note show, the ‘Toronto Coin Expo’, running from April 29-30, 2022, was “back in-person” this year, at the Toronto Reference Library Salon Venue, located in downtown Toronto.

The show featured 35+ internationally-renowned coin and banknote dealers, representing Canadian, United States, and World currencies, including Campbell’s Collectables, run by Terry A. Campbell, numismatist and author, with over 56 years of collecting experience.

The event was also host to a live auction, held by Geoffrey Bell Auctions.

Among the plethora of magnificent pieces up for bid in Session II, was Lot 1320, a certified 2000P Twenty-Five Cent ‘Community’ coin, graded MS-63 by ICCS, which sold for $10,200 CAD (plus applicable taxes).

The unusual issue is considered a modern Canadian rarity; having the capital letter ‘P’ (representing a composition mark) on the obverse side of the coin, below the neckline of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and above the denomination of ‘25 CENTS’. The coins were produced utilizing pure nickel planchets; however, a number of the 25 cent pieces were accidentally stamped using the obverse die, designed for use with plated coins.

The Spring 2022 Toronto Coin Expo had a great turnout, and was a welcome opportunity to mix and mingle with numismatists, non-numismatists, and collectors alike, F2F (Face to Face), for the first time, in quite a while.

PAN CIVIL WAR SHOWCASE UPDATE

Here's more information on the Civil War Money & Memorabilia Showcase at the upcoming Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists (PAN) show in Monroeville, PA, a Pittsburgh suburb.
-Editor

Inaugural Civil War Money & Memorabilia Showcase

Monroeville PA, May 19, 20 & 21, 2022

Background and Connections:
Many people know General William T. Sherman (also known as “Uncle Billy”) for his “March to the Sea” towards the end of the Civil War, but few know that he was a gold speculator and a banker before the War broke out. Fewer still know that Sherman’s finance career included dealings with the San Francisco Mint in the 1850s. He also dealt with the private assayers in California who produced the phenomenal gold ingots that were routinely shipped east on paddle-wheelers such as the S.S. Central America.

To tell that tale - of how Sherman’s pre-War life was impacted by the Gold Rush and the sinking of the so-called “Ship of Gold” – the Civil War Showcase is proud to host a special program exploring Sherman’s early life in finance with a program based on the new publication:

“Uncle Billy was a Banker: How William Sherman’s Life was impacted by
California Gold and the S.S. Central America”

Two key figures will be featured in this Program: General William T. Sherman (as portrayed by Kris Gunvalsen) and Bob Evans, the principal researcher and curator of the “Garden of Gold” that was recovered from the SS Central America deep in the Atlantic Ocean. The discussion will be moderated by Rick Lank, author of “Uncle Billy was a Banker.”

At left is a photo of some of the gold double-eagle coins and
the massive array of gold ingots from California that went
down off the North Carolina coast with the S.S. Central
America in September 1857. Intended as a reserve for Wall
Street Banks (which were already shaky), this loss –
amounting to more than “1,600 Thousands” of dollars, in
Sherman’s own words – created the “Panic of 1857” and
resulted in Sherman losing his second banking job in just
two years. (The equivalent dollar amount today would be
in the neighborhood of $50 million.) Sherman also had the
chance to meet the captain of the Bark from Scandinavia that saved 60 lives from the Central
America, shortly after the disaster.

Meet General William T. Sherman (also known as “Uncle Billy”)

At right is the living history characterization of
General William T. Sherman, as portrayed by Kris
Gunvalsen of Ohio. As a youthful Army man in
California, Sherman was in the very midst of the
California Gold Rush and was posted in the tiny
settlement that became the city of San Francisco
nearly overnight once “placer gold” was discovered
in the Sierra Nevada mountains. As a banker in San
Francisco, Sherman once carried $40,000 in gold
double-eagles from the newly opened Branch Mint in
saddle bags through the town to keep his bank
afloat – by calling in loans during 1855.

While in California, Sherman also had regular business dealings with the private assayers – such as Kellogg & Humbert - who produced the huge and varied gold ingots for the USA.

Meet Bob Evans, Chief Scientist and Curator
of the S.S. Central America – Pivotal to the
Recovery of “The Garden of Gold”

Bob Evans was there on the spot where the “Ship of Gold”
sank off of the Carolina coast – as a matter of fact, he had
pinpointed the location where the doomed ship went
down. Back in Sherman’s time, it was generally believed
that this ship sank fairly close to Savannah, GA. Instead, it
was finally found under 7,200 feet of water a couple of
hundred miles off the coast of North Carolina 40+ years
ago. Bob Evans was an integral part of that astounding
discovery, recovery and interpretation.

At left, Bob Evans smiles over a portion
of the gold recovered from the SS
Central America in his coin curation lab.
In September of 2021, Bob (along with
Dwight Manley, Managing Partner of
the California Gold Marketing Group)
unveiled the last major “stash” from
the ship – a fragile wooden box with
some $3,000 worth of San Francisco-
minted double-eagles… some in
astonishing condition (MS-67).

Other non-numismatic treasures have also been recovered, including the ship’s bell.

At right is an artist’s depiction of the
S.S. Central America at sea. On her last
journey, she sailed from Panama to
Havana, Cuba and then proceeded
towards New York City. She sank in
heavy weather 200 miles off the coast
of North Carolina; at least 425 people
lost their lives in this maritime disaster.

Special One-Hour Program announced for 1pm Saturday the 21st
at the Civil War Showcase, PAN Coin Show

Author and Program Organizer Rick Lank will be joining Bob Evans and “Uncle Billy” Sherman for a lively three-way discussion at the Civil War Showcase at 1pm on Saturday at the PAN Coin Show, located in the Monroeville Convention Center. Admission to the Coin Show and the Civil War Showcase is free, as well as the Parking. The Showcase’s educational non-profit organization– called “No Small Change” – welcomes both Sponsors and Contributions.

The Civil War Money & Memorabilia Showcase is launched to honor the 160th Anniversary of the Civil War including how money changed the war…and how the Civil War changed our money, including lasting legacies we see today.

The Inaugural Showcase is produced for educational purposes as a collaboration between No Small Change Programs (Maryland) and “PAN”, Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists Foundation (both 501c3 non- profit organizations). The Showcase will include exhibits, talks, and “show and tell”-type presentations suitable for all ages. Topics and exhibits include minting, printing and counterfeiting matters of the Civil War.

For more information on the show, see:

https://pancoins.org/

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

WOMEN'S RELIEF CORPS AT CIVIL WAR SHOWCASE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n15a17.html)

PAN CIVIL WAR MONEY & MEMORABILIA SHOWCASE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n17a16.html)

CONTINENTAL DOLLAR RESTRIKE DIE SELLS BIG!

Yowza!  That Bashlow Continental Dollar Restrike Reverse Die sold for $102,000.00!
Lots of people are scratching their heads over this.
-Editor

Tom DeLorey writes:

"... if the sale holds up and the buyer doesn't say something stupid like "But I thought it was an original die from 1776!" or something."

Well, E-Sylum readers certainly knew what it was. And I noticed that "so-called-dollars" is part of the URL for the lot, although not mentioned in the text.  It was certainly described as a restrike die.
-Editor

So-Called Dollar specialist Jeff Shevlin  writes:

"Sometimes there is a logical explanation as to why something like this Dickeson/Bashlow die would sell for so much money, sometimes there is not.

"There have been quite a few fascinating articles of late regarding the original Continental Currency medal, its authenticity and origin of manufacture.  That has created more awareness and a newfound interest in Dickeson's medals and the Continental Dollar medal he struck around 1861 (not 1876 as previously believed).  The cover article of The Numismatist The Other Continental Dollar published October 2021, authored by Bill Hyder and myself, corrected many long-repeated fallacies regarding the Dickeson Continental Dollar (which is not a restrike).  The Bashlow die that recently sold is tied into all of these stories.

"In the next few months, I plan to share with the numismatic community some more fascinating information regarding the Dickeson Continental Dollar.  I also look forward to hearing more from David McCarthy regarding his on-going research on the original Continental Dollar.  "

To read the complete lot description, see:

Undated Continental Dollar Restrike Reverse Die Uncertified. . From The Fred Weinberg Collection....

(https://coins.ha.com/itm/so-called-dollars/tokens-and-medals/undated-continental-dollar-restrike-reverse-die-uncertified-from-the-fred-weinberg-collection/a/63183-91246.s)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

THE FRED WEINBERG COIN DIE COLLECTION

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n16a16.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 24, 2022 : On That Continental Dollar Reverse Die

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n17a12.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 24, 2022 : Robert Bashlow and the Continental Dollar Die

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n17a12.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: MAY 8, 2022

 Surprising Prices Realized
Dave Hirt writes:

"This week I have been busy writing the prices realized in the Martin sale in my catalog. Even in the inflationary times that
we are living in, the prices on some items were quite a surprise to me! Of course the beautiful bindings of many items
contributed to the prices! One example, lot 266, a bound set of Lester Merkin catalogs, not rare and obtainable, realized
$4750.

"However, other lots without deluxe bindings brought high prices. One lot that caught my eye was lot 208, a European catalog,
a Adolph Hess sale, the Ulex collection, lot 208 which realized $450. I looked up my copy in my computer inventory, and
saw that I had estimated its value at $30. That  made me smile!! "

A few of the prices made me smile, too.  I've never invested in fine bindings myself, but have acquired a couple over the years.
And while many common items bring much less than they often did several years ago, many scarce and rare pieces have continued to climb and are reaching new heights in today's market.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

KOLBE & FANNING SYD MARTIN LIBRARY RESULTS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n18a02.html)

 David Tripp's Illegal Tender

Franklin L. Noel  writes:

"Regarding Ed Kelliher's inquiry about books on individual coins, in addition to Alison Frankel's book about the legendary 1933 Double Eagle, recommended by Joel, there is also David Tripp's Illegal Tender, which covers the same topic."

Correct.  Thank you.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

QUERY: LEGENDARY COINS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n18a11.html)

 Coins in Movies: Mojave
Regarding coins in movies,
Brad Karoleff  writes:

"Do you have “Mojave” on the list?
There's a closeup of an 1893 Double Eagle."

No, we didn't have that one! I checked our E-Sylum archive as well as Brian Healy's BrianRxm Website. Thanks.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

FEATURED WEB SITE: BRIANRXM

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n43a23.html)

 An Alexandrian Hemidrachm
As an addendum to my last Nummis Nova numismatic diary,
Robert Hoppensteadt submitted images of a coin he brought to our April meeting.  He writes:

"The Pharos was still standing there in the harbor when ancient Alexandrians were spending this rare hemidrachm on who knows what.  This one has weathered the years better than most survivors. RPC IV.4 15820.5 (this coin)"

Thanks! Nice coin.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: MAY 1, 2022

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n18a26.html)

 Query: Delaware Quarter Proposed Design

Wayne Pearson writes:

"Does anyone know who the submitter of this Delaware quarter design is?"

Good question.  Quarterdesigns.com is not the official U.S. Mint website, but I'm not sure if they publish this information.
-Editor

I like this one.  Using a state outline is often trite and a waste of space, but having the figure cradle the state in her arm makes for a pleasing and balanced design.  I think it's better than the chosen design of an equestrian Caesar Rodney.
-Editor

To read the complete webpage, see:

Delaware Proposed Designs

(http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/delaware.html)